VIA Rail Canada Inc.
Railway Police Constable
Reference Number : 20578_122017
Status : Permanent - Full time
Job Category : Health, Security and Safety
City : OTTAWA
Annual Salary: $70,289 - $89,999
Number of positions to be filled : 2
Application Deadline : 2017-12-08
At VIA Rail, our vision is to provide smarter, inclusive and more sustainable options to move people in a safe, accessible and efficient way, while connecting communities and contributing to the de-carbonization of our transportation systems. Come serve and protect Canadians differently!
The role of a VIA Rail Police Constable, pursuant to the Railway Safety Act, is to enforce the laws of Canada or a province related to the protection of property owned, possessed or administered by VIA Rail and the protection of persons and property on VIA Rail property.
- Protect VIA Rail passengers, employees and property;
- Prevent and detect crime related to VIA Rail;
- Develop partnerships with local law enforcement;
- Liaise with agencies, transportation organizations and associations;
- Foster rapport internally and within the communities VIA Rail serves
- Implement intelligence-driven and customer-oriented policing strategies and programs;
- Perform physical security inspections and risk assessments.
- Completion of a basic police constable training diploma at an accredited Canadian Police College or Academy.
- Must be a Canadian Citizen, or a Permanent Resident of Canada.
- Must have at least 3 years of experience as a police officer and have been actively employed by an accredited Canadian police service in a policing role within the last 12 months.
Must undergo an in-depth background investigation as part of the selection process:
- Must be able to obtain, and maintain, a Secret federal security clearance;
- Must not have a criminal record for which a pardon has not been obtained;
- Must not have a criminal charge pending before the courts; and
- Must demonstrate the behaviour, skills and qualities necessary for the role.
Must be able to successfully pass the following evaluations/tests to be considered for employment, and subsequently to ensure continued employment with the organization:
- the pre-employment medical evaluation;
- the standard police physical fitness tests (prior to employment, and every year thereafter); and
- the Use of Force Standards (upon hire and every year thereafter).
Must be able to operate an emergency vehicle safely and within standards, including maintaining a valid driver’s licence to operate an emergency vehicle in the province in which they are employed.
Will be required to do some travelling and work on various shifts.
- Strong verbal communication skills in both official languages.
- Good written communication skills in either French or English.
- ADAPTABILITY ; Adjusts own behaviours and approaches in light of new information, and changing situations. Tailors approach to meet needs of individuals and groups.
- PROBLEM SOLVING : Considers all available options to resolve problematic situations, as per procedures, and validates that the desired outcome has been achieved.
- ETHICAL ACCOUNTABILITY AND RESPONSIBILITY: Takes responsibility for actions and makes decisions that are consistent with high ethical policing standards.
- ORGANIZATIONAL AWARENESS: Understands and uses organizational awareness to deliver optimal services. Seeks to understand the critical concerns and most important issues of stakeholders to find optimal solutions.
- RISK MANAGEMENT : Manages situations and calls to mitigate risk and maintain a safe environment for self and others.
- STRESS TOLERANCE: Remains focused on results in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- COMMUNICATION : Effectively communicate ideas and information to ensure that information and messages are well understood, and to influence stakeholders to adopt a specific course of action.
- CONFLICT MANAGEMENT: Remains calm and utilizes appropriate defusing skills effectively in situations of conflict with customers and/or team members.
- TEAMWORK : Works cooperatively with members of the work team. Contributes to the development of a team environment where team members ultimately achieve established goals.
VIA Rail thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. VIA Rail is an employment-equity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. VIA Rail Canada is proud to be a military friendly employer.